Liberal Democrats Protest outside County Hall last November
Northamptonshire's Tory MPs and Local Labour
are calling for the Conservative's in charge of the failing County Council to be sacked and for Government Commissioners to step in and run the authority. They need to be wary of what they wish for. If the unelected officials step in then they will slash and burn , cutting all services to the bone and doing away with non-statutory services like bus subsidies.
Leader of the Liberal Democrats on the council, Cllr. Chris Stanbra is calling for a local democratic solution with local politicians from all sides working together to provide a long-term and sustainable solution to county finances. See Chris's 5 Point Plan Below
The Liberal Democrat 5 point plan calls upon the county council to:
1. Publish an immediate, full, up to date report into the county council's current financial position.
2. Set up a Cross Party Steering Group of councillors to work with the Chief Finance Officer.
3. Start a positive dialogue with the Districts and Boroughs to come up with an agreed plan for the future structure of local government in Northamptonshire.
4. Publish a detailed assessment of all Non-Statutory Services delivered by the county council that would be under threat in the event of a Government take over.
5. Engage with county council staff and their representatives and involve them fully in maintaining essential services and saving as many jobs as possible.