Wednesday 9th March 7 pm. To agree 2015 accounts (members)
Followed at 7:30 by Monthly Politics and a Pint
Members, supporters and friends welcome. Come and enjoy a beer at club prices and chat about politics and the world.
Guest speaker from Northampton Stronger In Europe Campaign.
After 14 weeks of debates and protests county council confirms £65m cutbacks
Chronicle & Echo March 3rd
Speaking in the debate on the Conservative budget cuts Towcester's Lib Dem County Councillor Chris Lofts said
" Let us shut down this council completely and as quickly as possible"
" Let us set up three Northamptonshire Unitaries that have clear responsibilities and maintain local democracy"
" let's finish Project Angel and then sell it to the highest bidder. A unitary structure won't need it" said Chris
Cllr. Chris Lofts
According to The Chronicle and Echo : some believe scrapping Northamptonshire County Council altogether with three unitary authorities to cover all services in the county could save the taxpayer £50 million a year.
Come along to the Lib Dem Office for a coffee and a chat on Tuesday 8th March. There are always a few odd jobs to do or perhaps you can learn how to use the website?
10.30 to around noon
Lib Dem Office
KPWMC 120-126 Kingsley Park Terrace, NN2 7HJ
The Government has presented a housing bill to Parliament. The Conservatives have decided to spend vast sums of money to increase home ownership for the lucky few who manage to get a Starter Home or buy a housing association home under Right to Buy, at the cost of providing homes for those who need a more affordable place to live. That includes the 1.6 million people on social housing waiting lists.
Liberal Democrats are fighting the new bill and seeking 6 major changes. These are:
- ‘Affordable housing’ must mean homes that are genuinely affordable. What the Government thinks is affordable is simply out of reach for many people.
- Councils should not be forced to sell off their council housing. They should have local discretion to manage their homes in the interest of local people.
- All homes sold off under the Right to Buy extension must be replaced, by building more of the same types of homes in the same area.
- Starter Homes should be for people who want and need to live in them, not bought by cash buyers or let out for profit. They should stay at a discounted price for future buyers too, not just their first owner.
- Tenants should have access to the Rogue Landlords database, so they can check out a future landlord before they move.
- Higher earning council tenants who are asked to ‘Pay to Stay’ should be earning a decent income before they’re charged more – a couple earning £15,000 each are not ‘high earners’.
There are many other issues we’re tackling, including giving communities a right of appeal on house building in their local area, and bringing back Zero Carbon Homes.
There are a few things Lib Dems welcome, including measures to speed up planning processes. But overall, Tory proposals merely tinkers round the edges when it comes to increasing the supply of new homes and it will have a devastating impact on affordability.
Party Leader Tim Farron has said this Bill will cause the “death of social housing”.
Southfields Residents Association and Cllr. Dennis Meredith have arranged a community clean-up around the estate in honour of HM The Queen's 90th Birthday.
Meet outside the shops at 10:30 am. All litter-picking and safety equipment will be supplied.
Come and give your local area a Spring Clean
Even the possibility of leaving Europe has today seen the pound sink to a seven-year low against the dollar.
And if we leave, it could get worse – much worse. According to new analysis by Goldman Sachs, the pound could fall by as much as TWENTY PER CENT if we vote to leave.
Read more at http://www.strongerin.co.uk
Here are a few of the most outrageous false claims about the EU - SHARE this so everyone knows you can’t believe a word they say on Europe.